Haynes Motor Museum: Background
An exciting opportunity has arisen for the role of Panel Beater/Fabricator to join the team at the Haynes Motor Museum (HMM) in Sparkford, Somerset. As one of the leading museums and visitor attractions in the South West, with over 125,000 visitors annually, you will be joining a dynamic and engaged team of over 120 staff and volunteers.
The Museum has over 400 vehicles and as a charity, it has three core aims: Preservation, Restoration and Education. The Museum also operates several businesses that donate all of their profits to support these charitable aims. Those businesses are:
· The Museum Workshop and Restoration Centre: We not only preserve and restore the Museum’s vehicle collection but we also offer those services to a local and international client base of veteran, vintage, classic and modern sports car owners
· Venue Hire: We offer one of the South West’s premier venue hire facilities, hosting conferences, events, exhibitions and functions throughout the year
· The Museum Shop: The Shop offers a vast selection of automobilia and will shortly be launching an online retail platform
The post holder will report to the Workshop & Restoration Centre Manager
Joining the established Bodyshop and Fabrication team, the Panel Beater/Fabricator will be responsible for car body restorations to the highest of standards ready to hand over to the paint shop.
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate the ability to be able to take a stripped car body, identify areas that need attention and repair, whilst keeping as much original material as possible. Some of the cars we work on are very rare, so being able to fabricate your own panels using traditional and modern techniques is essential, as well as the ability to work with both steel and aluminium.
The Workshop & Restoration Centre has a culture of mentoring, ownership, zero blame and mutual professional respect. You will also ensure that all clients and potential clients receive a polite, professional and efficient service, maintaining all the HMM brand pillars.
The Bodyshop Technician will work in collaboration with the Head of Body Shop and Fabrication to develop and constantly review time scales and identify areas that need communicating to the client. The ability to estimate time scales for jobs is desirable but not essential. You must be able to understand other elements of vehicle restoration so you know how your work affects other areas in the business.
You will be joining the Workshop & Restoration Centre at a truly exciting time of expansion and this role will be both a challenging and hugely rewarding opportunity for the right candidate. The successful applicant will have demonstrative experience of delivering first-rate work in a timely and efficient manner.
Duties & Responsibilities
· Carry out significant repairs/restoration to car bodies using modern and traditional techniques
· Fit new panels purchased from suppliers
· Fabricate new panels using steel and/or aluminium
· Mig and Tig welding
· Keep to project timelines and keep accurate time records
· Co-ordinate and communicate with other departments within the Workshop & Restoration Centre when required
· Be able to converse with clients on workshop visits from time to time
· Attention to absolute detail and accuracy
· Clean and tidy approach to your appearance and workspace
· Able and willing to work out of hours if required; time off in lieu or paid overtime will be given
· Some experience in the restoration sector
· Practical, hands-on, approach and attention to detail.
· Able to respond using own initiative
· A good team player
· Excellent communication skills, including written and spoken English, and the ability to deal with clients in a professional manner if required
A very competitive salary commensurate with experience will be offered.
Hours, Culture and Structure
This is a full-time role. Standard hours are based on a 40-hour working week. The job may require some overtime to hit project targets. The Workshop & Restoration Centre Manager has an open door policy and promotes teamwork and good communication with the team.
You will report directly to the Workshop & Restoration Centre Manager.
How to Apply
Please submit the following by email to Charmaine Craig: email@example.com:
· A copy of your CV, with your work history in reverse chronological order i.e. your most recent employment first
· A covering letter outlining clearly how you match the key tasks listed above (maximum one-page font size 12)
· Please also indicate your current notice period
The closing date for applications is the 19th of November 2021. Applicants will be assessed on an ongoing basis and should be prepared to attend a first-round interview prior to the closing date.
Please note we will only consider candidates with relevant experience.
No agencies please.
Panel Beater & Fabricator