Retail & Café Commercial Manager
This is a hugely exciting opportunity for an entrepreneurial Commercial Manager to head up online and in-store retail, reception, and the museum café (Café 750). The successful candidate will understand the need for astute product sourcing and purchasing for both online and in-store products, with a strong and demonstrable background in this area. The role will also require you to be knowledgeable and comfortable with front-of-house retail and café operations. This role offers the perfect balance of strategic ownership and hands-on implementation.
You will be taking the strategic lead, working closely with three talented Assistant Managers already established in the post, who are each very strong in their particular disciplines:
• Reception and in-store Retail Assistant Manager
• Online Retail Assistant Manager
• Café 750 Assistant Manager
This is a new role and is aimed at bringing all Museum visitors and customer (instore and online) commercial activities together: Reporting to the CEO and working with the Head of Marketing and Communications you will integrate and harmonise marketing and instore/online promotional activity and maximise sales potential across all three areas. You will bring to the role a demonstrable background and experience of purchasing (online and in-store), budgeting, planning, and team management to shape, monitor, mentor, and grow each department.
Who We Are Looking For
You will be commercially minded with a solid background in retail purchasing and operations, ideally for both online and in-store. You will be comfortable with setting and managing budgets. Managing margins and profitability will be second nature to you. Equally, you’ll know what great operational delivery in a café looks like. You will be a people person with the ability to work with a close-knit team of assistant managers, mentoring, coaching, and supporting their growth and that of their teams. You may have more experience in one or the other of the areas listed above, but you will certainly have a practical, “hands-on” approach to the role, and a ‘can-do’ attitude and you will be ready to learn. You will have a collaborative approach and strong communication skills.
Primary Purposes and Responsibilities of the Role
• Overall strategic leadership of instore retail for the museum shop, online retail for the Shopify e-commerce platform, visitor reception and the museum Café
• Develop and implement a purchasing strategy for online and instore retail
• Continue the development of a very simple ‘grab and go’ model in the museum café
• Monitor KPIs and maintain margins across all areas
• Work closely with the Head of Marketing and Communications (HoMC) and the wider Senior Executive Team (SET) to develop short-term and long-term plans
• Integrate and harmonise marketing and instore/online promotional activity and maximise sales potential across all areas
• Managing product supplier relations alongside the Reception and Retail Assistant Manager
• Support and mentor your direct reports ensuring exceptional customer and visitor experience at all touchpoints
For the full job description please see the attached document